Wednesday 24 April 2019

Campaign reply - Caroline Lucas early day motion.


A number of constituents have written to me regarding Caroline Lucas and her early day motion.

As a principle I never sign early day motions as they very rarely achieve anything whilst at the same time running up costs to the tax payer.

Caroline and I do not share the same approach to these matters, although I do take them very seriously.

The progress made by the UK on reducing carbon emissions is the envy of countless countries and whilst there is more to be done it is worth noting the progress made:  

·         Low carbon electricity generation is at a record high and now accounts for over 52 per cent of our electricity.

·          A reduction in greenhouse gases by a quarter since 2010.

·         Virtually all solar deployment has taken place under the Conservatives – up from 38.3 MW in 2010 to 13,070 MW in February 2019.


Whilst I am proud of the progress to date there is more to do and I will raise this again with ministers.