Monday 29 July 2019

Campaign response - We need a fair and effective asylum system - please act



Thank you to constituents who have recently contacted me regarding our asylum system.

I have received a copy of Refugee Action's recent report " Waiting in the Dark: how the asylum system dehumanises, disempowers and damages , makes plain the human impact of a hostile asylum process" and have met with representatives from Refugee Action, Refugee Council and other charities working with asylum seekers and refugees to discuss their concerns about our asylum system, many of which I share. 

As vice-chair for the All Party Parliamentary Groups on Refugee and Migration, I have previously questioned ministers on our current policy on refusing asylum seeker their right to work after the six-month waiting period, and have also raised the issue of legal aid, ESOL and other essential provisions for those who are genuinely seeking sanctuary in our country for fear of persecution, war or violence.

We need an asylum system that is not only fair and robust but also is compassionate on the most vulnerable and in need of protection.

I hope to meet the new Home Secretary soon when Parliament returns and when I do so I will be sure to convey to her the points constituents have raised.