Wednesday 8 May 2024

Newspaper column 8 May 2024 - Constituency work

As the weather has improved and the evenings have drawn out, it has been good to spend more and more time out and about in our constituency, knocking on doors and speaking to local people about the issues that matter to you. One of the questions I am often asked is what my role as Member of Parliament encompasses when I am not in Parliament. For my column this week I thought I would give examples of some of my work in Cornwall over the past week or so.

Parking problems are an issue for elected representatives at every level of democracy and I recently spent some time in Newquay visiting businesses in Cliff Road to talk about their views on proposed changes to on-street parking. This was an interesting discussion and I will be feeding their concerns back to Cornwall Council in order to ensure their voices are heard before any changes are made.

Flooding is another big concern locally and I have worked over a number of years with Cornwall Council, the Environment Agency, Pentewan Valley Parish Council and the wider community to help deliver an important flood defence scheme for the village of Pentewan. I am pleased to have been able to help lead this project, securing the funding and ensured a timely competition, and recently attended an event with the project stakeholders to mark its completion.

Supporting businesses is another important part of my role, and I recently visited Naked Solar Ltd in Newquay, to see how this company has grown since I last visited a few years ago and discuss their exciting plans for the future. We particularly discussed the need to ensure local people are able to gain the skills to work in this sector, and I will work with local businesses, colleges and DWP to ensure we are able to provide the training needed to ensure this happens.

Our rural businesses are very important and I recently visited Boddingtons Berries strawberry farm near Mevagissey and met with a group of young farmers. We had a great tour and introduction to the business and I then took questions from the young farmers on a range of subjects.

Last week I went to Mount Edgcumbe Hospice to see their new garden and have a chat with CEO of Cornwall Hospice Care Paul Brinsley, following my highlighting of their work in the debate in Parliament earlier in the month. It was good to visit the hospice and talk about the incredible work they do in helping people when they are at their most vulnerable and I look forward to continuing to support them into the future.

And then last Thursday I spent most of the day campaigning to support the Conservative Candidate for Devon and Cornwall's Police and Crime Commissioner election Alison Hernandez on election day. Alison was successfully re-elected and I look forward to continuing to work with her in the future to deliver for the people of our Duchy in policing matters.

As ever, if I can be of assistance on any matter, my office is available for any constituents needing help, advice or guidance – tel: 01726 829379 or email: office@stevedouble.org.uk