Wednesday 15 May 2024

Newspaper column 15 May 2024 - Speaking out in Parliament

Following on from my column last week, where I wrote about some of the work I do as Member of Parliament for St Austell and Newquay while I am working in Cornwall, this week I thought I would highlight some of the times I have recently spoken in Parliament.

One of the main reasons I returned to the backbenches last November was to be able to once again take part in debates in Parliament and ask questions of Ministers, something which you are unable to do when you have a role in Government.

Speaking out in Parliament is certainly something I have successfully prioritised since then, with statistics released in March showing that I contributed more to Parliamentary debates in the first two months of the year than any other MP in the South West. I have continued to be very active in Parliament since, and just last week, spoke in Parliament several times.

One thing an MP can do in Parliament is ask questions of Ministers in order to highlight local issues and bring national attention to them in the hope of getting something done.  I was shocked to see the flooding in Mawgan Porth in March and sadly this is not an uncommon occurrence. In a question to the Floods Minister last week I was pleased to make the case that more needs to be done at Mawgan Porth to guard against flooding, and was pleased that in response to my question the Minister agreed to meet with me to discuss what can be done. I look forward to working with him and all involved to get a positive outcome for Mawgan Porth.

Another thing MPs can do when speaking in Parliament is push for updates on national schemes that affect the areas they represent. The Government’s replacement for the previous EU funding, the Shared Prosperity Fund, is one such example, and last week in Business Questions I highlighted some of the great investment in St Austell and Newquay this fund has made possible, and pressed for details on the next round of funding.

We can also highlight Cornwall’s importance in the national picture during debates, and last week I was pleased to do just this when I spoke in the debate on mining and mining communities, highlighting Cornwall's mining past and the role lithium will play in our future, in a debate that was otherwise dominated by MPs representing northern constituencies.

As a backbenchers there are always loads of opportunities to speak in or hold debates in Parliament. For this week I am holding a debate on the future support for the under ten metre fishing fleet, following my successful campaign to provide compensation for pollack fishermen earlier this year. I will continue to loudly speak up on behalf of our constituency as we go through the year.

As ever, if I can be of assistance on any matter, my office is available for any constituents needing help, advice or guidance – tel: 01726 829379 or email: office@stevedouble.org.uk