Wednesday 23 November 2016

Newspaper column 23 November 2016 - Using my vote to protect Cornish constituencies!

This week I thought I would write about the recent developments regarding the Boundary Commission and their proposed changes, which would currently see a new Parliamentary constituency created that crosses between Devon and Cornwall.

When I first wrote about these changes, back in September, I said that I was disappointed with the new seats as proposed, especially the cross border seat. I said  that I understood and shared the very strong feelings the people of Cornwall have about this issue, was aware that there were challenges to these plans being discussed and would continue to monitor developments closely to decide what I could realistically achieve to change these plans. 

I have been on record as opposing these changes since 2011, before I even became a candidate to be MP. My opposition has not changed but what I needed to do was decide upon how I could best make an actual impact and make a stand against them.

After carefully considering the various arguments that have been made against a ‘cross-border’ seat I came to the conclusion that the only way I could actually make an impact and affect the change that I feel is needed is by voting to change the legislation. This is because the many arguments made against a cross-border seat, while powerful and emotional, simply do not carry legal weight under the current legislation.

As an MP one of the most important things I can do is use my vote to affect change in Parliament. I therefore decided to use my vote last Friday, voting against the Government in the Private Members’ Bill, Parliamentary Constituencies (Amendments) as a first step to getting the legislation that will lead to a cross-border constituency changed.

Apart from the physical changes of the constituency boundaries, I also do not agree with the idea of reducing the number of MPs, particularly in the current political climate.

If we are proposing to reduce the numbers of MPs purely for financial reasons, to cut the cost of politics – we are already doing so by voting to leave the EU and therefore losing 73 MEPs. Of course their workload will be absorbed back into the work of existing MPs. I also think that if we are looking at reducing the numbers at Westminster we should instead look at reducing the numbers of Peers that sit in the unelected House of Lords, which I do not believe should have more members than the elected House of Commons.

I was pleased to see the vote go in favour of the amendment, which will mean this legislation will continue through Parliament. I will continue to keenly follow this Bill as it progresses and do all I can to support it.

I have always said that I am a Cornishman first and a Conservative second. As MP I can use my position to speak up and vote in Parliament where I think I can best affect change. This is one of those occasions when I believe that speaking up for Cornwall is the best thing to do even if it means disagreeing with the Government and so that is what I have done.

To read my speech in full on Hansard, see the following link below:



As always, my team and I are here to serve the whole constituency and work hard to make a real difference to the lives of everyone needing support. If there is an issue you would like my assistance on then please contact me on either 01726 829379 or office@stevedouble.org.uk. Additionally, I hold regular, appointment only, advice surgeries across the constituency. Dates of these can be found at: www.stevedouble.org.uk/events