Wednesday 16 November 2016

Newspaper column 16 November 2016 - The US election result

Over the past week there has been one story that everyone has been talking about – the political earthquake that was the election of Donald Trump as President of the United States of America.

Although many appear to have been surprised at this result I always had a gut feeling he could and would win.

There is no doubt there has been a major shift in politics in 'the west' over the last year or so.

Polling companies are consistently calling it wrong. First we had the 2015 General Election with a majority Conservative Government returned against ‘all odds’, then the vote for the United Kingdom to leave the European Union in the recent referendum and now President Trump’s victory on the other side of the Atlantic.

The old rules about how people vote have changed. Many people do not want business as usual, to maintain the same status quo, or indeed the same old big government. The electorate are happy to take a risk in order to break the established order.

The reaction by many who probably should know better shows they haven't understood that a shift has happened in the political landscape.

From political parties saying they will ignore the referendum and stay in the EU to others calling voters who voted for Brexit or Trump names, there has been a somewhat predictable backlash from what some have called the ‘liberal elite’ and their celebrity backers.

Apart from anything else I do not find it sensible to insult the electorate in this way. After all people rarely change their minds to vote for the person who has insulted them!

All politicians need to remember we are only in our job because of the electorate - you are the boss. Too often politicians can give the impression that they know best.

As an example, the result of the referendum was clear – we as a country have decided to leave the EU. I believe we now need to get on and implement this decision. I find it unbelievable that some political leaders are not only seeking to delay this decision, but saying they will actively work to ignore it and keep us in the EU.

All this does in my view is deepen the divide between the electorate and those in power.
I often think to myself that I chose an interesting time to get into politics. But in these turbulent times we can either embrace the changes that are happening or we can resist them. History, I believe, shows that we cannot resist changes of this nature when they happen. So I for one welcome the challenge and am more determined than ever to listen and work to represent this area as best I can.

As always, my team and I are here to serve the whole constituency and work hard to make a real difference to the lives of everyone needing support. If there is an issue you would like my assistance on then please contact me on either 01726 829379 or office@stevedouble.org.uk. Additionally, I hold regular, appointment only, advice surgeries across the constituency. Dates of these can be found at: www.stevedouble.org.uk/events