Monday 20 January 2020

Campaign response – Animal cruelty sentencing




Thank you to constituents who have got in touch with me about the proposals being put forward by the government to increase maximum sentences for animal cruelty from 6 months to 5 years in England and Wales.

They told me that they “welcome the commitment by the government to pass legislation to increase the maximum sentence for animal cruelty from 6 months to 5 years” and ask if I would support the passage of this legislation and work to ensure that its passage prioritised.

I am pleased to inform constituents that I will be giving the Government my backing on this matter and I will be seeking to speak to ministers about prioritising the passage of the legislation.

I welcome the strong commitments to improving Animal Welfare as set out in the Queen’s Speech in December. In addition to introducing tougher sentences for perpetrators of animal cruelty, the government is also committed to consulting on improving the welfare of live animal transport and to banning the keeping of monkeys as pets and the import and export of hunting trophies.