Wednesday 3 April 2019

Campaign reply - latest on Brexit


A number of constituents have sent me a campaign email with various titles covering the governments handing of Brexit, the referendum and a further referendum.

One thing we can agree on is the handling of Brexit by both the government and Parliament in general has fallen short of what it should have been. There have been too many in Parliament who have undermined the governments negotiating position and worked to delay, dilute or prevent Brexit.

However, I believe it is vital that we deliver the result of the referendum and leave the EU. That is what I committed to do in the 2017 election and I intend to keep that commitment.

I do not share the  downbeat view of our future outside of the EU. We are the 5th largest economy in the world. I am confident we can and will continue to prosper after we leave. I also cannot accept that a county the size of the UK can only leave the EU on the terms they dictate – that is what saying we cannot leave without a deal actually means.

My views in a second referendum are well known and covered in blog posts already posted here but for the avoidance of doubt there are no circumstances that I will support such.