Wednesday 22 February 2023

Newspaper column 22 February 2022

 

Locally, my inbox over the past week was dominated with correspondence around the continued use of the Beresford Hotel in Newquay to house asylum seekers while their applications are being processed.

The housing of asylum seekers while they are awaiting the outcome of their application is an international and national issue and it is right that Cornwall plays its part. However, I would like to make it clear that the Home Office did not impose the current use of the Beresford Hotel on it. This was something that the owners of the Beresford Hotel decided, to use their hotel in this way.

Last week a number of constituents contacted me regarding concerns about the alleged relocation of the asylum seekers staying at the Beresford Hotel to accommodation in St Columb Minor. 

The Head of Asylum Support at the Home Office, with whom I have regular calls to receive updates on the Newquay situation, was immediately made aware of the concerns of local people, and in turn made it very clear that there is absolutely no truth to these rumours.

I have also been assured that the Beresford Hotel remains very much a temporary measure and that every effort is being made to move the asylum seekers on to more suitable accommodation elsewhere – which would almost certainly be out of Cornwall. I trust this reassures people that the rumours regarding the housing of asylum seekers in St Columb Minor are false, and that once again, it is unwise to believe everything you read on social media.

I am also aware that concerns have been raised about the alleged behaviour of some asylum seekers. Obviously if local people are being made to feel vulnerable and unsafe this is unacceptable. I have been in touch with local Police to ensure that these issues are being addressed in the appropriate way.  It is important that any inappropriate behaviour is raised with the right authority. If criminal acts are witnessed, then these should be reported to the police. Other concerns should be raised with the refugee support team at Cornwall Council via refugeehelp@cormwall.gov.uk

Alongside these issues, it also became apparent that some people have been planning a protest, and a counter-protest, around the continuing use of the Beresford Hotel in its current role.

I have been in contact with Newquay Town Council, local councillors, the Head of Asylum at the Home Office about this, as concerns about the safety of the asylum seekers and of disruption to the town centre have been expressed. I have been assured that senior officials at the Home Office as well as Newquay Police have been made aware and are taking action before, during and after the protest itself to maintain order and ensure it remains peaceful.

Whilst I accept some local residents do have legitimate concerns, I do not condone any form of racism or xenophobia. I note that decisive action is being taken by the Government to tackle the issue of illegal immigration while allowing us to show compassion to those in genuine need of asylum and I continue to support these measures being introduced in Parliament.

I appreciate that local people wish to express their views on a matter that is clearly of considerable importance to a number of residents in Newquay, Whilst it is of course right that people are allowed to express their views within the bounds of the law, I would also suggest that this may not always be the most helpful way to address those concerns. We must avoid the escalations of these matters in such a way that it stirs up hatred and divisions.

Of course, as your local Member of Parliament, my door remains open and I will continue to raise all concerns brought to me with the relevant authorities whilst continuing to work with the Home Office to ensure the asylum seekers housed in the hotel are moved on as soon as possible.

If you require my assistance on any matter please get in touch with my office by calling 01726 829379 or email office@stevedouble.org.uk