Wednesday 29 December 2021

Newspaper column 29 December 2021 - Looking back

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and was able to take some time to reflect on what makes this special day so important to us all. I am writing this just before Christmas when the government had announced no further restrictions would be put in place as a result of the new Coronavirus wave. Whilst we wait and see how things develop, I do hope this has enabled everyone to enjoy Christmas as normally as possible.

For my final column of 2021, I thought I would look back at some of my work for you as MP for St Austell and Newquay over the past year.

2021, like 2020, has been hugely challenging for us all.

The year opened with another lockdown, and Cornwall was particularly badly hit by Covid-19. I am sure we all know someone who suffered or sadly passed away from the virus. My work, along with my team, was again focussed on assisting people and businesses through these difficult times. Meanwhile in Parliament (conducted virtually at the beginning of the year) I continued to support the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care in my role as his Parliamentary Private Secretary in leading the Government’s response to the pandemic.

The most important part of this response was and continues to be our vaccine programme, which continued its rollout throughout the year. I was closely involved in the vaccine programme both locally and strategically, as well as taking part in the trials. I thank everyone again who has been involved, including our NHS and volunteers, who ensured we have vaccinated more people earlier than most countries around the world.

While we are currently facing new uncertainties with the Omicron variant, I am pleased that the Government’s key response continues to be through the vaccine programme, protecting as many people as possible, while avoiding further measures and keeping disruption of our lives to a minimum.

In June, Cornwall hosted the G7 Leaders Summit, the first international event of this scale since the pandemic occurred, and I was proud to take part and see Cornwall look its best with the eyes of the world on us. It was good to welcome some of the  world leaders at Cornwall Airport Newquay, as well as three generations of the Royal Family at St Austell. I am now working with the various G7 Legacy projects to ensure a lasting positive impact from this momentous event for Cornwall.

In September I was delighted to be appointed as a Government Whip in the reshuffle. This is my first Ministerial position within Government and one where I am able to work with the ministerial team in the Department of Health and Social Care to help shape and steer the Government’s legislative programme, which has already delivered the Health and Care Bill since my appointment.

In October, we were all devastated to lose my friend and colleague James Brokenshire, who had local connections to Cornwall, following a long battle with cancer, and shockingly, my colleague Sir David Amess, who was murdered while taking part in a MP Advice Surgery in his constituency. This was an attack at the heart of our democracy, but along with many of my colleagues, I am determined to continue holding surgeries and not let those who would harm us win.

Away from Parliament I have continued to support projects that will have major positive impacts on our constituency. The dedicated A30 to St Austell link road continues to make frustratingly slow progress, largely due to issues as a result of the pandemic. But I continue to work to seek to deliver this important project. The Spaceport at Cornwall Airport Newquay has made further progress towards a potential launch in 2022. I was pleased to work with Cornwall College to secure funding from the Government to redevelop their St Austell campus, as well as working with the Department for Education on new schools at Carclaze and Newquay that are coming forward. I have also been working with the Department for Transport, Cornwall Council and Great Western Railway to come forward with plans to upgrade the Newquay-Par branch line and improvements to Newquay Station.

In sustainable energy and materials news, I have also continued to champion the potential for geothermal energy and lithium in Mid-Cornwall, and we have seen some good progress with the Eden Geothermal plant plans, as well as with the various lithium companies, moving towards lithium extraction and manufacturing in Cornwall - a return to our mining pre-eminence.

I will continue my work to attract funding to Cornwall from the Government, as well as better paid high tech jobs to grow our economy and encourage our young people to stay in Cornwall for their careers.

As ever, I want to say a huge thank you to my team who have been busier than ever supporting me to assist constituents with issues. This year my team and I have dealt with more than 7,000 enquiries from residents, on all manner of things, from Covid-19 support queries, to international travel and visa concerns, as well as housing, benefit, transport and DVLA matters, always trying our best to get a positive outcome for the people who need our support.

I hope this has given just a small flavour of some of the work I have done on your behalf over 2021. May I wish you all a Happy New Year and I look forward to continuing to serve our constituency and our Cornwall through 2022 and beyond.