Wednesday 8 September 2021

Newspaper column 8 September 2021 - Back to Parliament while seeking feedback from residents

On Monday Parliament returned from summer recess. It is always bit of a shock to the system to get back to the weekly commute after spending the summer in Cornwall. But I am ready to get back to the main job of an MP of representing our constituency in Parliament.

There is plenty to get to work on in the coming weeks ahead. One of the most important issues continues to be the current housing situation in Cornwall. Whilst I have been working on this throughout recess, the return of Parliament will enable me to do this more effectively.

We are expecting new legislation on planning to come to Parliament in the coming week and I am hopeful that this will include new measures that will enable local councils to manage the number of  second homes and holiday lets through the planning system. This is something that I have been asking the government to put in place for several months now and it was encouraging to read in some of the national papers this weekend that these measures are being considered.

I am sure there will be a great deal of work still to do to ensure the right measures are put in place, but this will be one of my priorities over the coming weeks.

Of course, the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic continues and I am sure there will be plenty of debate on things like the vaccine roll out, particularly for children, booster jabs, vaccine passports and what further steps the government needs to ensure we continue to keep on top of the virus through the winter. In my role as Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Health Secretary I am sure I will be kept very busy.

I will also be continuing my work on a number of the ongoing projects for our constituency such as the A30 link road, Spaceport Cornwall, securing the London flights for Cornwall Airport Newquay, upgrading the Newquay-Par railway branch line and lithium extraction.

However, I am also very much aware that I am your voice in Westminster and so I always want to know what matters most to you. To this end I have launched a new constituency autumn survey, so you can let me know the issues you feel should be focused on in the coming months.

You can find the survey on my website here

https://www.stevedouble.org.uk/st-austell-and-newquay-autumn-myplan-survey

It takes just a few minutes to complete so please do take a look and let me know your thoughts.

This will come off the back of my recent businesses survey when I asked local businesses to give me their thoughts on the way the government has supported businesses through the pandemic, the challenges they face and their thoughts about the future. Thank you to everyone who completed that survey. If you are interested you can read the report here:

https://www.stevedouble.org.uk/st-austell-and-newquay-business-survey

I am aware that many local businesses continue to face a number of challenges as we seek to recover from the past 18 months. Particularly I know that many are struggling to find the staff they need. I will continue to do all I can to ensure these concerns are heard and addressed.

Finally, once again this weekend we saw Cornwall hosting another international event as the first leg of the cycling Tour of Britain passed through the county. Starting in Penzance and ending in Bodmin the cyclists peddled across the Cornish countryside and our constituency got to host a large part of it as the route passed through Newquay and St Austell as well as several villages along the way.

A huge well done must go again to Cornwall Council, the Police and everyone involved in ensuring everything went smoothly. It was actually quite incredible to beyond the way the race was organised as it sped through the towns and villages along the way with the minimum of disruption. It was another opportunity to showcase Cornwall in all her beauty. But I think more importantly it demonstrated our ability to host these type of events. Following the G7, this will have enhanced our reputation as a place that can manage large prominent events and put on a great show. Hopefully this will put us in a great place for other such events in the future.