Wednesday 25 September 2019

Newspaper column 25 September - More good news for Spaceport Cornwall!


While Parliament has not been sitting I have been pleased to have been out and about around Mid-Cornwall speaking to local people and businesses about what matters to you.

Last week it was great to go along to Fowey and join the commemoration of the 150th anniversary of Fowey Harbour Commissioners.

I also joined the St Columb Minor Residents Association at the Farmers Arms for a question answer session on all sorts of local and national issues. I have another Meet your MP session coming up tonight (25 September) at the Godolphin Arms in Newquay from 1830, and then another at the Carlyon Arms in St Austell on Wednesday 2 October from 1830. Anyone is welcome to come along and see me and there is no need to book an appointment.

At the weekend I was delighted to join with the Marine Conservation Society and children from Gorran School to carry out a beach clean on Gorran Haven beach as part of the MCS’s Great British Beach Clean Weekend. It was wonderful to see the children so enthusiastic about taking care of where we live.

Meanwhile on Wednesday I welcomed the decision by Cornwall Council’s Cabinet to award £12 million funding for Spaceport Cornwall.

The award brings the project, which will see Cornwall become the base of the country’s first horizontal launch spaceport, move closer to fruition.

I have always been clear that the vision for Spaceport Cornwall, one that was just a pipe dream when I was first elected and one that I have been proud to support and help make reality, is one that could transform Cornwall.

As well as the exciting benefits for Cornwall locally, we should also be mindful of how Spaceport Cornwall fits in the national context of the UK Government’s space ambitions, that would see it becoming the UK centre for the launching of satellites for commercial and government use.

I also see Spaceport Cornwall as a way to restore Cornwall to a leading pioneer in a modern, high tech and growing industry. A place our children will be able to grow up and stay with bright and vibrant careers. At a time when we need to see more of our young people inspired to take up engineering and technology what better than to have a thriving space industry on our doorstep to raise their aspirations.

Having worked to bring the UKs first horizontal launch spaceport to Newquay Airport, since before I was elected in 2015, including securing £7.85 million of Government funding, I am pleased that we remain on track for lift off in 2021.

Thank you and well done to all those at Cornwall Council and the Spaceport Cornwall team for this important step forward.

My team and I are here to serve the whole constituency and work hard to make a real difference to the lives of everyone needing support. The office is open to the public Monday – Friday 10.00am – 4.00pm (no appointment necessary). If there is an issue you would like my assistance on then please, either visit the office or contact me on either 01726 829379 or office@stevedouble.org.uk. Additionally, I hold regular, appointment only, advice surgeries across the constituency. Dates of these can be found at: www.stevedouble.org.uk/events