Tuesday 26 June 2018

EDM 1233 on Pub Closures.


The brewing and pub sector makes a huge economic contribution to Mid-Cornwall. Figures from a study commissioned by the British Beer and Pub Association show. The sector supports 3091 jobs and provides £86m in value to the local economy.

As a rule I do not sign Early Day Motions as they have no legislative affect and I believe change can be driven better through the other democratic processes available to us in Parliament.

I am very much involved in supporting the pub and hospitality industry both in Mid-Cornwall and across the country.

To this end I am a Vice Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Beer Group, a group of cross-party MPs who campaign to promote and protect the industry in Parliament.

In the last month I have welcomed a delegation of MPs from the Group to Cornwall to promote the Pub is the Hub initiative, which seeks to promote the vital role pubs play, particularly in rural communities such as those we have in Mid-Cornwall as hubs for the towns and villages they are located in.

I’ve also previously been privileged to spend the day as a brewer at St Austell Brewery and have seen first-hand its importance as an employer here in mid-Cornwall.

I hope this shows just some of the work I have been doing in this area and I will continue to do all I can to promote and support the pub and hospitality industry.