Wednesday 14 March 2018

Newspaper column 14 March 2018 - St Piran's Day, Lusty Glaze and Brexit


At the beginning of last week, St Piran’s Day, for the first time since I became MP, fell on a day when Parliament was sitting.

To mark the occasion, I was pleased, along with the Cornish MPs to host an event in Parliament, welcoming some of our best food and drink producers to Westminster to showcase some of the finest ales, wines, chocolate, cheeses, creams, biscuits and teas that can be found in the UK. The event was a real success and was brilliant in highlighting some of the great exports that Cornwall has on offer, both to the UK but also internationally.

I also spoke in Parliament on a number of occasions, raising concerns over planning policy for cliff-top developments following the recent landslide at Lusty Glaze beach, as well as asking what could be done to ensure the record levels of NHS funding are spent appropriately by NHS Clinical Commissioning Groups. I also highlighted with the DEFRA Minister the great job we in Cornwall our doing leading the way in movement towards more sustainable lifestyles with the #plasticfree initiative, which is being brought forward in Newquay and other towns across our county.

Over the weekend I was shocked to hear frankly outrageous comments by the Lib Dem leader Sir Vince Cable, who at a Lib Dem event said the 2016 Brexit vote was driven by a nostalgia for a time "when faces were white".

This sort of comment shows just how out of touch the Lib Dems continue to be with why people voted to leave. It certainly wasn’t the reason I voted for Brexit, and I see our future as a global outward reaching power on the international instead of one shackled to the failed institution of the EU. Perhaps Sir Vince (74)’s sanctimonious comments were driven by nostalgia for a time when his views were relevant, and his Party polled more than 7% nationally.

Regardless, we all now need to move on and stop re-running the referendum debate. This happened, nearly two years ago – we need to respect this democratic result and work together to deliver the best outcome for our country, something myself and my colleagues will continue to do all we can to achieve.

My team and I are here to serve the whole constituency and work hard to make a real difference to the lives of everyone needing support. The office is open to the public Monday – Friday 10.00am – 4.00pm (no appointment necessary). If there is an issue you would like my assistance on then please, either visit the office or contact me on either 01726 829379 or office@stevedouble.org.uk. Additionally, I hold regular, appointment only, advice surgeries across the constituency. Dates of these can be found at: www.stevedouble.org.uk/events