Wednesday 16 August 2017

Newspaper column 16 August 2017 - Work during Recess

One question that I am often asked is how MPs spend their time during the Summer recess when Parliament is not sitting. I see it as an opportunity to get out into our constituency and meet as many people as possible, visiting businesses, charities and residents to provide support and listen to the various concerns.

For example, last week I met with the organisers of the Boardmasters Festival ahead of this event, which brings in so many visitors and millions of pounds to the local economy. I also met the Foxhole Village Green Committee to look at their work in maintaining this valuable green space. I visited the team at Cornwall Airport Newquay to discuss the ways in which I can continue to support them, and went to Little Harbour Children’s Hospice near St Austell to talk about the excellent work they do. I also took the opportunity to meet with Ocean Housing and get a look around one of their new housing developments. Then on Friday night I went out on patrol with the Police based in St Columb which provided a very interesting insight into the challenges of neighbourhood policing in rural areas.
I was also pleased to hold one of my regular Meet your MP events at the Hewas Inn in Sticker.  I have held many of these events since my election in 2015. They are an opportunity to meet with local residents in an informal setting and have a chat about the issues, local and national, that matter to you.

In Sticker, for example I took questions on subjects as diverse as foreign aid and defence spending to speeding on local roads and planning. I have had good feedback from these events and people who have attended tell me they have found them interesting and informative and a good way to keep in touch with me as their Member of Parliament.

My team in the constituency office are now helping me deal with those issues raised at that event.  This is a vital part of an MP’s work that goes on from week to week.

I will be holding another Meet your MP event at the Blue Anchor Inn in Fraddon, between 6pm- 8pm on Thursday 24th August. Please do come along if you would like to see me and have a chat about the issues, local and national that are important to you.

Since my election in 2015 my team has helped with more than 3,000 individual cases, including recouping many thousands of pounds of benefits for families needing support and securing housing for families in crisis.

As well as looking at personal issues for individuals and households, my team can also take up issues including national policy. The real life experiences of local people helps me understand the impact of Government policies that I can use to help shape and inform my own opinion when it comes to shaping future policies.

My team and I are here to serve the whole constituency and work hard to make a real difference to the lives of everyone needing support. The office is open to the public Monday – Friday 10.00am – 4.00pm (no appointment necessary). If there is an issue you would like my assistance on then please, either visit the office or contact me on either 01726 829379 or office@stevedouble.org.uk. Additionally, I hold regular, appointment only, advice surgeries across the constituency. Dates of these can be found at: www.stevedouble.org.uk/events