Wednesday 1 March 2017

Newspaper column 1 March 2017 - Cornwall Council's latest folly

I am sure I was not the only one to be surprised to discover last week that Cornwall Council were advertising for a new ‘head of communication and engagement’. The Council leadership stated that this new post was necessary because they were aware they need to ‘reconnect with communities’.

Laying aside for now that this post is being advertised at a staggering £70,000 salary plus benefits and relocation package (which therefore presumes the job will be given to someone out of Cornwall), the very fact that the Council’s Cabinet are creating this job shows how out of touch they really are with the genuine concerns and wishes of the people of Cornwall.

I can happily offer the Lib Dem and Independent Councillors on the Cabinet some free advice – it isn’t better PR you need, it is better decisions.

I regularly spend time out in our constituency knocking on doors and meeting local residents. I can tell you that people are very much aware what the council are doing and they are not happy. Whether it is the recent fiasco surrounding the European City of Culture bid, (which I was disappointed to see the Cabinet have confirmed their intention to go ahead with spending £536,000 on the bid) or the pointless parking consultation that wasted £750,000 and was then ignored, the notorious Truro bus lane to nowhere or the use of Cornwall Taxpayer money to build wind turbines on Council owned farms that blight our landscape, local people are receiving the message from the Cabinet loud and clear.

That message is that their priorities are not those shared by the residents they are here to represent. Too often they seem set to pursue their own pet projects that do not reflect the things that people actually want from the Council.

What people tell me every week is that they want the council to focus on repairing our roads, looking after our elderly and vulnerable better, providing safe transport for our children to get to school and cleaning up our streets.

Clearly, I was mistaken in believing that it was the job of the 123 elected Cornwall Councillors to connect and engage with the local communities they represent. Certainly, when I was a Cornwall Councillor I saw this as the most important part of my role. The appointment of this new position tends to suggest that the Cabinet want to by-pass the elected councillors and not listen to them as they raise the concerns of the residents they represent. Instead they simply want to pump out their PR and tell us what a wonderful job they are doing.

We have a Cabinet at Cornwall Council who are constantly in broadcast mode and are not willing to listen. It is not better PR from a professional spin doctor they need, it is the ability to listen to the message I hear every week – stop wasting our money on your own vanity projects and start delivering the things we really need.


As always, my team and I are here to serve the whole constituency and work hard to make a real difference to the lives of everyone needing support. If there is an issue you would like my assistance on then please contact me on either 01726 829379 or office@stevedouble.org.uk. Additionally, I hold regular, appointment only, advice surgeries across the constituency. Dates of these can be found at: www.stevedouble.org.uk/events