Wednesday 11 January 2017

Newspaper column 11 January 2017 - My priorities for 2017

This week we return to Parliament after the Christmas Recess. It has been great to spend a few weeks at home in the constituency. While Parliament has not been sitting it has given me a chance to think about what my priorities for this coming year will be.

The big issue, not just in Cornwall but across the whole country continues to be Brexit and how it will impact on our way of life. I recently joined the European Scrutiny Committee, which assesses the legal and/or political importance of draft EU legislation deposited in Parliament by the Government and also has the power to recommend documents for debate, question Ministers in person and conduct general inquiries into legal, procedural or institutional developments in the EU.
With this role I will make sure concerns of local key sectors in Mid-Cornwall – including tourism, agriculture and fishing are heard at this high level, and that the feedback that I continue to get from meetings with those of you who work in these important areas is noted and acted upon as we move towards a formal Brexit when Article 50 is triggered.

Alongside this I will continue to work for investment in economic growth, jobs and better wages across Mid-Cornwall. I will continue to work with businesses both locally and nationally to drive our economy towards not just having more jobs, but creating demand here for jobs that are high skilled and well paid.

Towards the end of last year I was pleased to report successes in some of my long-term lobbying of the Government, with funding provided to upgrade the dangerous stretch of the A3058 between St Austell and Newquay, as well as moving forward with the incredibly important plans for the A30-A391 link road to St Austell and the surrounding area which will do so much for the economy of the area when built. These are both good starts but there is more to do and I will continue to lobby for more investment on our infrastructure and services as we move forward into 2017.

Another area in which I will continue to watch closely and press the case for change is to do with residential care. We were all shocked by the terrible scenes exposed in Clinton House in St Austell by BBC’s Panorama documentary in November.  There is always a concern that once these stories are no longer in the media that the issues get forgotten. I am determined not to allow that to happen but to make sure lessons are learnt. Over the coming weeks and months I will be working with stakeholders to look at what needs to be done to ensure things change for the better.

Finally, it was great to see yet more routes to and from Cornwall Airport Newquay open up over the Christmas break. The airport’s consistent positive growth is brilliant for Newquay and St Austell and the whole of Cornwall, and I will continue to work with the excellent management team there to do all I can to promote it as a premier destination. Not to mention the plans to possibly make the airport the UK’s first Spaceport, which I continue to champion and do all I can to make a reality.

As always, my team and I are here to serve the whole constituency and work hard to make a real difference to the lives of everyone needing support. If there is an issue you would like my assistance on then please contact me on either 01726 829379 or office@stevedouble.org.uk. Additionally, I hold regular, appointment only, advice surgeries across the constituency. Dates of these can be found at: www.stevedouble.org.uk/events