Wednesday 6 January 2016

Newspaper column 6 January 2016 - Looking forward into 2016

In my first column of 2016 I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a healthy, prosperous and peaceful New Year.

We live in interesting times and as I look forward to the year ahead I thought it worth sharing my priorities and ambitions for the coming year as your MP.

Across Cornwall we will all watch with interest as the Devolution Deal for Cornwall moves into implementation.  With more powers devolved from Westminster, Cornwall Council faces a challenge to ensure that the right skills are in pace to deliver on these new powers.  As other powers are devolved to local councils it is important that the necessary structures are put in place to ensure that these councils have the capacity to deal with their new responsibilities and I will take an active role in ensuring this happens.

While Cornwall Airport Newquay had a fantastic 2015, the coming year is shaping up to be even more exciting.  At a recent Prime Minister’s Question Time I was able to ask the Prime Minister on the timing of the decision on the location of the UK Spaceport.  This process is likely to happen during 2016 and I am working hard at Westminster to lobby for Newquay to be granted this status.  I believe that Newquay remains the most obvious choice for the UK Spaceport. 

The decision over the third runway at Heathrow has again been delayed.  I will continue to press for this to go ahead so that Cornwall can once again have the vital air link to Heathrow. 

I will also be watching with interest as the Bloodhound Supersonic Car prepares to come to Newquay.  The Bloodhound team is very enthusiastic about the time they will be spending at Newquay testing the car in preparation for the world land speed record attempt in South Africa.  They are likely to be at Newquay Airport for at least a month and I encouraged them to make the car available to as many local people as possible during that time.  We do not yet know exactly when they will be coming but I know that the Airport team is already planning for their arrival.

I will also be continuing to press the Government to relax the restrictions of families being able to take their children on holiday during term times.

The coming year is likely to be an exciting year for the St Austell Bay Area; the Clay villages, Par and St Blazey, and St Austell Town.  Over 76 projects have been identified to move the area forward and these include the scheme at Higher Trewhiddle and the Carlyon Beach development. Work on the A30 link will continue and I will work push forward on each of these projects.


Once again I would like to wish you all a happy new year, let us make it a good one for St Austell and Newquay. My team and I are here to serve and support you in any way we can, so if you think we can help please get in touch: Tel. 01726 829379; email – office@stevedouble.org.uk