Sunday 20 July 2014

Rowing at the Double

On Sunday I got to spend the afternoon out on the water. We entered a team from the local Conservative Party in the 15th annual Children’s Hospice SW Charity Gig Race at Newquay Harbour.



This was the second year we had entered a team and it was once again a great time. Our team this year was made up of myself, Richard Pears - my campaign manager, Adam Harris and Jack Berry (our cox) who are part of my campaign team. We were joined in the gig by three regular rowers from Newquay Rowing Club.


Newquay Rowing Club is one of the largest and most historic clubs in Cornwall (and probably the planet). They do a great job of putting on this annual event which is well run and fun to participate in. The conditions this year were almost perfect; calm seas and sunny but not too hot.



This year we came in a credible 4th out of 7 in our heat. This is, in my view, the best place to finish as the top three go through to the final which means you have to row again!



The event is a great way of raising the profile of the hospice and raising much need funds for the charity. I am delighted to do my little bit again and can highly recommend the event for anyone who  fancies entering next year.