Wednesday 4 January 2023

Newspaper column 4 January 2023 - Looking ahead to the New Year

 

Firstly, I'd like to say I hope everyone had a good New Year and are looking forward to 2023. Later this week I will be heading back to Parliament as Christmas Recess ends after spending time in the constituency with my family and having the opportunity to meet constituents and businesses. 

I am looking forward to getting back to Westminster, however, I am very much aware that 2023 is going to be a very challenging year as we continue to not only recover from the Covid pandemic but also deal with the impact of Putin’s illegal war in Ukraine. 

We will face some difficult decisions as we seek to restore public finances and return our economy to stability and growth. Please rest assured that I will continue to work with the government to ensure we provide the support needed for those who need it most. 

  

I am also aware that two of the biggest issues we face in Cornwall are housing and the pressure on our NHS. These will continue to be two of the things I focus on most as I work with local NHS leaders and the council in Cornwall as well as Ministers in Westminster to ensure we see improvements in the coming months.

 

While I appreciate this year will be difficult, there are a number of positive projects I will be working on to see them delivered for our constituency, including Spaceport Cornwall and the satellite launch which will attract new businesses and jobs to the area.

 

I am also hoping for a positive announcement on the Mid-Cornwall Metro in the coming weeks. This ambitious scheme to link Newquay, Par, St Austell, Truro and Falmouth with a direct rail line has already been chosen to proceed to the next stage of the Government’s Restoring your Railway programme and is also a project put forward for a Levelling Up Fund bid.

 

I believe this coast to coast through-service will have huge benefits for communities living along the route such as reducing journey time and easing road congestion as well as bringing in more visitors and trade. I will continue to work with all involved to help make it a reality.

 

Our vital tourism and hospitality businesses will also continue to receive my support as we face unprecedented challenges through 2023, and I am also keen to see the Newquay Strategic Route built and will be working Cornwall Council to ensure this long overdue road is constructed as soon as possible.  

 

Speaking of roads, as we start to see more and more electric cars, I am excited to see what’s in store for Cornwall’s lithium industry. It is a key element in battery production, so this is a fantastic opportunity for the region, and I look forward to seeing what steps the industry will take this year to develop this even further.

  

A decision on the Devolution Deal for Cornwall will also be made in the coming months. Cornwall Council are currently consulting on the new Deal which aims to help deliver on the priorities set out in the Cornwall Plan 2050. 

 

If accepted, the Government would give additional powers and funding to Cornwall Council. I would encourage everyone to take a look at what the Deal means for the County themselves and then have their say on the Deal: www.gov.uk/government/publications/cornwall-devolution-deal-kevambos-digresennans-kernow

 

The Deal will provide Cornwall with the basis to continue to negotiate with the government for more additional funding and powers to make the changes we want to see here happen. The consultation will run until February 17, 2023 and can be accessed via the link here: https://letstalk.cornwall.gov.uk/bigdeal

 

Despite all the challenges we will face, there are many positives to look forward to this year and we are lucky to live in one of the most amazing parts of our country. I firmly believe that by continuing to work together we can make it even better.

 

 As ever, if I can be of assistance on any matter, my office is available for any constituents needing help, advice or guidance – tel: 01726 829379 or email: office@stevedouble.org.uk