Wednesday 28 December 2022

Newspaper column wc 26/12/22 - Looking back over a busy year

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and was able to take some time to reflect on why we celebrate this special day.

Speaking of reflection, I want to take this opportunity to look back at the year we have had as the end of 2022 approaches. 

I want to begin my column by mentioning one of the most historic and significant moments of this year, the sad death of our late Queen, Elizabeth II. I had the privilege of being involved in the many Platinum Jubilee events that were held across Mid-Cornwall in May of this year and saw people of all ages came together to celebrate her unparalleled reign.

The death of Her Majesty in September saw the nation unite once more in mourning for Elizabeth II and I was honoured to have taken part in events both locally and in Westminster around the Queen’s State Funeral and the Accession to the throne of Charles III.

Earlier this year we also saw the passing of our beloved D-Day veteran and local hero Harry Billinge, who touched the lives of so many, including mine, with his brave service to his country and tireless fundraising work to honour his fallen comrades.

I couldn’t write this column without also mentioning the big changes we saw at Number Ten as Boris Johnson stepped down as Prime Minister to be replaced by Liz Truss, albeit only briefly, before former Chancellor Rishi Sunak became our current Prime Minister. I will always be very grateful for everything Boris Johnson achieved, both for our country and for Cornwall, while in office.

On a more personal note, the change of Prime Minister saw changes for me and my role in Government. I started the year in the Whip’s office and in July was pleased to accept a role as Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

I returned to the back benches in September however, I was pleased to be reappointed to the Whip’s Office by new Prime Minister Rishi Sunak in October, where I remain today.

However, regardless of my role in Government, my main priority will always be working to deliver for our constituency and I look forward to continuing to do this whether or not I have a role in government.

Now to matters in the constituency where work has begun this year on a number of exciting projects this year.

We have seen the start of work on the A30 Link Road to connect the town and the A30, to provide a direct route from the A30 to St Austell and take through traffic away from the nearby villages. This is something I have lobbied Ministers on since before being elected MP and is the single biggest piece of Government infrastructure spending in Cornwall, at £85million. It has now been signed off and construction started in June.

We also saw the Government grant the first ever license for the launching of satellites from European soil at Spaceport Cornwall in Newquay, and as I write this, the launch date will be imminent. This is something that I have been involved with very closely and am excited to see happen. It is the first time anything like this has ever been done in the UK and is a huge achievement by all involved.

Speaking of achievement, I was pleased to work with Cornwall College and the Department for Education to secure a multi-million-pound funding boost that will allow Cornwall College to build a new campus in St Austell. This is ground-breaking for the town as it will support future generations and I look forward to continuing to support Cornwall College in its aspirations as a career college going forward.

I have also stood up and spoke at the Boundary Commission’s public hearing against proposals that would have seen the clay area communities split up and put in different Parliamentary constituencies, along with Par and St Blazey. I am pleased that following my representations the Boundary Commission has now withdrawn these proposals.

Housing issues have also continued to be a big part of my work. I know this is a big concern for many constituents which is why I have been pleased to work with Ministers to ensure measures are introduced to better regulating the holiday let industry through the Levelling Up Bill, such as Cornwall Council setting up a registration scheme for holiday lets in their areas and consulting on planning permission being required when a property is changed from residential to holiday use.

This year we also saw the continuation of the Government’s levelling up agenda, with confirmation of its replacement for EU funds, the Shared Prosperity Fund, worth more than £130million for Cornwall.

We also saw the Government confirm its long-awaited devolution deal for Cornwall, with an additional £360million of funding for Cornwall, as well as a new office of elected Mayor up for discussion.

I hope this has given just a glimpse of some of the work I have done on your behalf over 2022 and will continue to do.

As ever, I want to say a huge thank you to my team who have been busier than ever supporting me to assist constituents with issues. This year my team and I have received and replied to nearly 20,000 emails, dealt with nearly 9,000 individual pieces of casework on behalf of local residents and businesses, ranging from housing and benefit enquiries to visa applications and energy issues.

May I wish you all a Happy New Year and I look forward to continuing to serve our constituency and Cornwall through 2023 and beyond.

My office is now closed and will reopen at 10am on January 3, 2023. However, you can still contact me by emailing steve.double.mp@parliament.uk or calling 01726 829379 and leaving a message. I will get back to anyone requiring urgent help.