Wednesday 12 May 2021

Newspaper column 12 May 2021 - Local elections update

 

Last week’s local elections proved to be historic for Cornwall. For the very first time the Conservative Party will form a majority administration at County Hall. This was the outcome of the hard fought campaign which saw the Conservatives win 47 of the 87 council seats.

Obviously, I am pleased with this outcome which will mean that with the council leadership being from the same party as all of Cornwall’s MP we will be much better able to work together for the benefit of Cornwall.

Here in St Austell and Newquay it was also a very positive result with the Conservatives taking 11 of the 16 seats. I want to pass on my congratulations to all those who were elected including the three Mebyon Kernow and two Independents.

There were some disappointments with two sitting Conservative councillors losing their seats. I want to say a big thank you to Mark Formosa and Sally-Anne Saunders for all their work for the residents of their divisions. Politics can sometimes be brutal, and it is sad to see hard working and dedicated councillors miss out on re-election. I am sure we would all wish them well for the future.

There were also a number of other councillors from different parties, who were not re-elected, many of them were long serving councillors over many years. I want to say thank you to them for all they have done for the communities they represented.

Having spent the past 6 weeks out and about speaking to local residents there were a number of clear priorities that were raised time and time again. Issues of anti-social behaviour, housing for local people, inappropriate and over development and traffic and speeding were the issues most often raised. The one thing I know is that the newly elected council will ensure that it works to deliver on the priorities of the people of Cornwall and I look forward to working with all those elected in a constructive and positive way to address the priorities of local people.

I know each of the Conservative Councillors well and I know they will be dedicated to representing and serve their communities. We do not have a magic wand to change things overnight, but I do know with Conservatives now representing a very large part of this constituency, including all of the seats in our two main towns of Newquay and St Austell, we have a team that will be determined to get things done and I know they have already made a start.

This election was of course quite different to normal, being held as we emerge from the lockdown. Despite this the election went off without a hitch and thanks should go to the council officers who made it possible. It also demonstrated that despite what some parties were claiming, it was the right decision to go ahead with the elections at this time.

Next week we will continue our journey out of the lockdown with another important step in easing the restrictions. As I write this we await to hear the precise details of what the Prime Minister will announce but all the indications are that indoor meetings will now be allowed.

I am sure we will all welcome this, particular as the weather currently seems to be against us. It will also enable pubs, bars and restaurants to serve customers inside which will be another important step on our economic recovery.

With the lifting of restrictions, I will be recommencing my regular Advice Surgeries. If you would like to book an appointment to see me, please contact me office on: tel. 01726 829379 or email office@stevedouble.org.uk