Friday 21 February 2020

Campaign response - Letter from your constituent



Thank you to constituents who have recently contacted me about the counter terrorism laws that the Government is introducing in light of recent events in London.

I think many constituents will be assured by the swift and decisive legislative action that the Government has taken to tighten our counter terrorism laws and strategy in order to prevent any more terrorists from roaming our streets.

When the emergency legislation was introduced and passed through Parliament last week, the bill received broad cross-party support and was praised by many members of the opposition parties.

No longer will we see criminals convicted of terrorism offences released automatically halfway through their sentences – something that I believe everyone in this country wants to see.

However I am concerned to hear that non-violent protestors may be affected by the change in the law, and as such I will be speaking to the relevant ministers about this matter and seek for an assurance that the right to peaceful protest will not be affected by our new counter terrorism laws.

I would like to thank constituents again for bringing this matter to my attention.