Monday 15 October 2018

Please attend NI briefing on devolution & abortion + vote against abortion 10 Minute Rule Bill campaign reply


Some of my constituents have recently contacted me to ask me to vote against Diana Johnson MP’s Ten Minute Rule Bill on abortion and inviting me as attend a briefing session for MPs on the bill. This Bill would have the effect of making the Abortion Act 1967, along with all the legal safeguards it provides, void through to at least 24-weeks, i.e over five months, gestation.

I understand what an important Abortion this is for many people. This is an incredibly delicate area of law and, regardless of the views of individual MPs, one which is treated with the utmost rigour.

With regards to this bill, I would not vote to increase the availability of abortions, nor would I vote to make it easier to have one. My personal opinion is the limit should be decreased from the current 24 weeks. I find it absurd doctors fight to save premature babies born in one part of a hospital at 23/4 weeks which are now viable with the advance in medical technology, and in an another part of the hospital a 24 week foetus is being aborted.

I work and have regular contact with pro-life groups and always seek to accommodate their work as they seek to influence and inform Parliamentarians so that we can make progress with the vital message of pro-life. I recently spoke at a meeting in Newquay organised by the Society for the Protection of Unborn Children (SPUC), arguing proposals such as Ms Johnson’s bill are aiming to liberalise and decriminalise abortion outright, which would lead to abortion up to birth, sex-selective abortion and abortion on grounds of disability: https://www.spuc.org.uk/news/news-stories/2018/june/decrim-would-have-far-reaching-consequences

Although my diary is already full I will be doing my very best to attend this important debate, vote against the bill, and attend the briefing session. I will continue to do everything I can to see off any extension or further loosening of the rules making it easier to have an abortion.