Wednesday 3 January 2024

Newspaper column 3 January 2024

 

Firstly, I'd like to say I hope everyone had a good New Year and are looking forward to 2024.   

  

Next week I will be heading back to Parliament as Christmas Recess ends after spending some time in the constituency with my family and meeting with constituents and businesses.   

  

I am looking forward to getting back to Westminster and continuing to work with the government to ensure households in mid-Cornwall are represented. I appreciate that the past few years have not been easy. We have faced extremely difficult times with the cost of living and energy increasing due to the COVID-19 pandemic and Putin’s illegal war in Ukraine.   

  

It is only because of the long-term decisions made by this government that I believe we are able to see many positive measures for the people of Mid-Cornwall come into effect in 2024.  

 

National Insurance will be cut for working people this month as well as maintaining the triple lock for pensions in Mid-Cornwall and increasing benefits in line with inflation from April.  

  

We will also be increasing the National Living Wage and helping businesses in the constituency with the biggest permanent tax cut in modern British history as well as backing pubs, breweries and distillers by freezing alcohol duty to August.  

 

One issue that has been raised with me, both by local parents and by childcare providers, has been the urgent need to reduce the cost of childcare for working parents.  The current model has often been described as a hindrance to helping parents get back into and continue in work.



That is why I am glad to see the government will begin the rolling out of the largest ever expansion of funded childcare this year.  



From April 2024, eligible working parents of two-year-olds will get a new offer of 15 government funded hours per week. From September 2024, eligible parents will get 15 government funded hours from nine months until their children start school, and from September 2025, this will rise to 30 hours.  



This will help more parents in Mid-Cornwall to increase their hours or return to work, as part of wider government support for families as well as cut the cost significantly for those already paying for childcare.  

  

As we look ahead to 2024, I will also continue to work on the number of exciting opportunities here in Mid-Cornwall to grow our economy, attract investment and create the jobs for the future.  

 

One of these is the development of lithium extraction which will revive our local mining industry and put it in a great position for decades to come. I have always said that mineral mining is in our DNA in this part of Cornwall, we have been doing it continuously for centuries, and I believe we will continue to lead the world in this sector for decades to come.  

 

I am excited to see what’s in store for Cornwall’s lithium industry in 2024 as it is a key element in battery production and will be one of the most sought-after natural resources into the future. It is great to see us leading the way in the development of renewable technologies and I look forward to seeing this industry grow and develop.   

 

This year will also see another general election and while the speculation as to whether this will come in the spring or autumn continues, my team and I will be ready whenever it is called. I am pleased to confirm I will be standing again and seeking a fourth term as your MP.   

     

Please be assured that I will continue to stand up for what I believe is right for our constituency, county and the country, whatever the challenges. I have always sought to be a ever-plain-speaking Cornishman who puts our constituency first and I hope to be able to continue to do so in the future.   

  

If you have any questions about my work or think I can help you in any way, then please do get in touch and I will more than happy to assist.   

  

As ever, if I can be of assistance on any matter, my office is available for any constituents needing help, advice or guidance – tel: 01726 829379 or email: office@stevedouble.org.uk