Wednesday 22 November 2023

Newspaper column 22 November 2023 - A week is a long time in politics...

The saying goes that a week is a long time in politics and that is certainly true of the last week when we saw the reshuffle of the Prime Minister’s Cabinet and my resignation from government.

Over the summer recess I decided that I was going to be leaving government at the time of the next reshuffle, which the Prime Minister carried out last week. I wanted to ensure that I stepped down at the most appropriate time and so last week I informed the Prime Minister that I would be resigning from my role as lord commissioner of the Treasury in the government’s whips office and returning to the back benches.

As I told the Prime Minister, it has been a huge honour to serve as a member of government under his leadership and previously Boris Johnson’s.  From being the Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Health Secretary throughout the COVID pandemic, an Assistant Whip through 2021/22, a Minister in DEFRA and most recently a Lords Commissioner in the Whips Office, I have witnessed, close up, some of the most challenging and turbulent times any government has faced. I have always given my best to be a supportive and constructive part of government and have thoroughly enjoyed the past few years.

This is a personal decision I have made which I know is right for me, my family and constituents and believe now is the right time for me to return to the back benches.

I do want to reassure people though that I remain committed to supporting the Prime Minister and government as we work towards the general election next year and speaking up for and representing the people of Mid-Cornwall, who have always been my priority, from the back benches.

Of course, as with my own circumstances changing, the reshuffle also saw a number of other significant changes within the Prime Minister’s Cabinet.

Most notably, former Prime Minister, David Cameron, who was in office when I was first elected in 2015, has been appointed as Foreign Secretary. I respected and admired his leadership then and I am pleased to see him make a return to frontline politics in a role well suited to him.

As Prime Minister, he demonstrated good judgement at home and abroad and as we face two of the biggest foreign policy crises, I do believe that the foreign support and respect he has earned from the international community and strong relationships he has forged with world leaders after six years as Prime Minister make him a good fit for the role.

Former Foreign Secretary James Cleverly was also appointed as Home Secretary following the departure of Suella Braverman from the role and he has taken no time at all to assure the public that he hopes to build on the work done by his predecessor to stop the boats, equip the police with proper powers to stop disruptive illegal protests, and to keep people safe. 

He has my full backing in pursuing these policies which will help us deliver on the pledges made by the Prime Minister and in our election manifesto.

While I have now returned to the back benches, I look forward to continuing to represent and work hard for the people of Mid-Cornwall, who will always come first.

I have always said that being the Member of Parliament for my home constituency was the greatest honour and I now look forward to continuing to be the strong Cornish voice in Westminster we need.

As ever, my office is available for any constituents needing help, advice or guidance. Please do get in touch if I can help – tel. 01726 829379, email – office@stevedouble.org.uk