Thursday 22 September 2022

Newspaper column 22 September 2022 - Looking back on a momentous week

In the week since the death of Her Late Majesty, I have been honoured to perform duties on behalf of my constituents, in Westminster and in Truro & Falmouth, to both commemorate the late Queen and to welcome our new sovereign, King Charles III.

Last Friday lunchtime, I laid flowers on the green at Truro Cathedral, alongside Cornwall Council’s Chair, Pauline Giles and its Leader, Linda Taylor. In the evening I returned to attend a very moving Evensong and to sign the Book of Condolence. 

On Sunday, I returned again, to attend the proclamation of the new King.  This is an ancient ceremony and wonderful to be a part of.  In an age of 24-hour news and social media, the proclamation felt like a window onto times gone by, where county towns and villages would have heard the news for the first time at the proclamation, as well as confirmed their loyalty to the new monarch, by shouting “God Save the King!”.  Truro’s proclamation was read first in English, then in Cornish.

Straight after the Truro proclamation I was back to Westminster.  On Monday morning in Westminster Hall Members from the House of Lords and the Commons welcomed the new King and Queen Consort.  Addresses were read by Speakers of both Houses and a reply made by the King.  Westminster Hall is a building that has captured my imagination since I first visited it as a teenager.  The silence of this ancient hall, broken only boots of the King’s Guard or buglers was incredibly atmospheric.  We then had the honour of being the first audience to sign the National Anthem in the King’s presence and he appeared genuinely moved.

On Tuesday I stole a couple of hours and walked through St James’ Park towards Buckingham Palace and on to the garden of flowers in Green Park.  I was able to smell the fragrance from the tributes before I could see them.  Reading cards and tributes from young and old and from all over the UK and the world was quite something.  My faith in the goodness and kindness of people was reinforced by this experience.  Away from the usual divisions that I sometimes face as part of this role, this, I felt, was a truer representation of the hearts of people.

On Wednesday I was able to sign a book of condolence on behalf of my constituents in the House of Commons Library.  As well as sending our heartfelt condolences I welcomed Their Majesties.  I also expressed our gratitude for their hard work over many years as our Duke and Duchess.  As many of you will have seen, Wednesday was also the day Westminster Hall received Her Late Majesty to lie in state.  I was honoured to be the first Member of Parliament to enter the hall, once allowed, to pay the respects of my constituents to the Queen.  Many constituents are unable to make the journey to London and it was a genuine privilege to be able to convey their respects.  The gloriously bright and vivid purple, red and gold is a sight that will stay with me forever.

Back in Cornwall I have signed the book of condolence in Falmouth and there are further services to attend ahead of Her Late Majesty’s funeral, which is a National Day of Mourning. Since the Queen’s Death the Palace of Westminster has been in formal mourning and we are unable to conduct any meetings or business.  The House is expected to resume its business on Wednesday 21st September.

However, we are still on hand here in the constituency to answer any queries that you may have please get in touch with me by email at Cherilyn.mackrory.mp@parliament.uk , or by telephone on 01872 229698. My regular constituency advice surgeries are held in a covid-safe environment at my office, so please do get in touch should you wish to meet me about any matters that I can be of assistance with.