Wednesday 13 October 2021

Newspaper column 13 October 2021 - Reporting back on my survey

I will never forget that I am your voice in Westminster and so I always want to know what matters most to you. To this end, in September I launched a St Austell and Newquay constituency autumn survey, so you can let me know the issues you feel should be focused on in the coming months, through the rest of 2021 and beyond.

Thank you to everyone who took their time to complete the survey. Nearly 500 people completed it in just over a month, and I thought in my column this week that I would go through some of the results

I asked, generally, which issues were most important to you and your family. The responses received showed that the NHS and Housing were most important to the majority of people who replied.

I asked in terms of local priorities, what you felt I should be prioritising to work with Cornwall Council on, and the majority of those who replied said that they felt affordable housing and health and social care were most important.

In terms of the actions that I highlighted in my survey, the ones that had most support from responders were ‘More funding for Cornwall's NHS including £450million to improve services in our Duchy’ and ‘Working with the Government to better regulate second homes and holiday lets’, both of which had more than 90% of responders in favour. Creating more opportunities and jobs for young people also scored highly throughout the survey

There was clearly significant interest in health and social care and housing issues, as well as the need to create more opportunities for our young people at every level of my survey responses, so I thought I would update you on both what I have already done, and what I will be doing in these areas in the future.

In my time as MP since 2015 I have worked with the Government to increase NHS funding across Cornwall, with a real term increase every year. Since 2019 we have also seen £100million for a new women and children's hospital at RCH Treliske, and £450million to upgrade NHS services across Cornwall. As well as all of, this last year the Government wrote off £42.5million of RCH Treliske’s debt.

There are of course extraordinary current pressures on our NHS, caused by the unprecedented circumstances of the pandemic, and the backlog of operations that this has caused, as well increased demand for regular services as we look to return to normal, and delays in discharges that Cornwall Council is now working on reducing.

The recently announced NHS and Social Care NIC Levy will also see more funds to ensure the NHS has the resources it needs throughout this Parliament, including tackling the backlog of operations and funding the 3% pay-rise for nurses. It will also allow the Government to invest the largest amount of any government to upskill the social care workforce, strengthen the adult social care system and finally implement a solution to cap adult social care costs.

Turning to housing issues, there is no doubt that we are in a housing crisis in Cornwall, and I have made it a priority to address this since the current session of Parliament first sat in June.

Along with my Cornish MP colleagues I am currently working with the new administration at Cornwall Council to discuss further action that can be taken to make the housing market fairer for local people including potentially putting an additional council tax charge on second homes, piloting new planning rules to restrict the use of “primary residences” for holiday homes in areas which already have high percentages of second homes, setting up a new brokerage to encourage second home owners to make their properties available to long-term renters, and a crackdown on the illegal use of former council homes as holiday lets.

Several of the proposals will require changes to primary legislation to allow Cornwall to pilot measures which are not currently backed by national law, and as MPs for Cornwall we look forward to working with the new Ministerial team at the Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities to progressing these for these for the good of the people of Cornwall.

Finally, on creating more opportunities and jobs for our young people, it is so important that we create the well paid, highly skilled jobs that we need in order to help our young people stay in Cornwall, have careers here and bring up their own families. I am pleased to have worked with Cornwall College and the Government to secure funding for the refurbishment of their St Austell campus, and have also worked hard to make the Spaceport Cornwall project a reality, as well as with emerging industries such as lithium extraction and geothermal to create new and exciting opportunities for our children in the future.

I will be responding in more detail to those people who replied to my survey, but in the meantime, it is really helpful to understand your priorities for me as your Member of Parliament. The survey is still open and if you want to respond to it, you can do so via my website

https://www.stevedouble.org.uk/st-austell-and-newquay-autumn-myplan-survey