Wednesday 22 September 2021

Newspaper column 22 September 2021 - Joining the Government

The big news in Westminster last week was the reshuffle. It had long been speculated that one was due, so it was good to see it actually happening.

Among the number of big moves in the Cabinet, I was particularly pleased to see the former Vaccines Minster, Nahdim Zahawi, appointed to Education Secretary. Having worked closely with Nadhim in the Department for Health and Social Care over the past 18 months I am sure he will do a great job in this new role.

I was also pleased that Sajid Javid remained as Health Secretary. This is a crucial time for our health and care system as we recover from the pandemic, deal with the backlog in our health system and reform the social care system.

For me personally there was also good news as the Prime Minister invited me to join the Government as a Whip. An invitation I was honoured to accept. There is always a lot of misunderstanding about the role of whips in Parliament. Whilst it is true that a part of the role is seeking to ensure MP’s vote in support of the government, that really is a small part of the role.

Whips are primarily there to manage the business of the government through the House of Commons. There is a myriad of different things that go on behind the scenes before and after what is seen in the chamber. This includes negotiating with the opposition whips regarding how long is given to different items of business, ensuring MPs are kept informed of what is happening and formally moving motions and other business in the chamber.

There is also a huge amount of work that goes into committees that consider legislation, where the whips have a key role.

Having spent the past two years as the Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Department for Health and Social Care I welcome the opportunity of a new role and fresh challenge. Being the PPS to the Health Secretary throughout the Covid pandemic has been an incredible experience. It was truly a privilege to serve in that role during one of the most challenging times our country has faced for generations. I learnt a great deal and it was an immensely busy and intense time. I will never forget the experience and will always be grateful to the Prime Minister, Matt Hancock and Sajid Javid for the opportunity.

Each Whip is assigned to a government department to be a part of the ministerial team and I am delighted that I have been appointed the whip for the Health and Social Care Department. This will mean I will continue to work with health ministers to deliver the vital investment and reforms we need to recover from the pandemic.

I now look forward to my new role. There will be a great deal to learn in the coming weeks and months, but I am honoured to be part of this government and working to deliver the programme of legislation as we seek to move on from the pandemic.

But I want to reassure everyone that being the MP for my home patch is still by far the greatest honour I can ever imagine. Representing and serving the people of this constituency will always be the priority for me. I do understand the comments that some make that I will now be bound to support the government. Whilst it is the case that, just like the past two years as a PPS, I am bound by the collective responsibility being part of the government brings, it does not in any way dimmish my commitment to do what is right and best for our part of Cornwall.

As a part of the government, I will continue to do what I believe is right and best for our constituency and work with ministers to deliver the things we need. I will now be able to do this as a part of Boris Johnson’s government.

My office and I are here to help local people in any way we can. I am now holding regular face to face surgeries. If you feel I can help with advice or support in any way please contact my office to book an appointment – email: office@stevedouble.org.uk, tel. 01726 829379.