Wednesday 27 February 2019

Newspaper column 27 February 2019 - My visit to the Falklands


Last week I had the huge privilege of visiting the Falkland Islands to visit our armed forces there.

My visit was as part of a cross-party delegation of MPs from the Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme (AFPS). The visit was planned many months ago and I was pleased to be able to still go despite the Parliamentary recess being cancelled.

The Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme is a programme to give Members of Parliament and peers in the United Kingdom experience of the armed forces. Its aim is to improve the quality of debate on military issues, and it does this by exposing its members to first-hand experience of the services.
This was an amazing experience. The Falkland Islands are so remote yet so beautiful and remain one of the most unspoilt places in the world. The Falkland Islands have a population of just over 3,000 and the main industries include fishing, tourism and farming, so in some respects, there are familiarities with Cornwall.

Life on the Falklands is a challenge but it is equally an amazing place to be. It was also very moving to learn more about the 1982 war and retrace the steps of some of our troops. The stories of courage and commitment are truly inspiring.

We continue to maintain a military presence in and around the Falklands and as such there is a significant amount of defence funding in this area. I was pleased to meet with a number of personnel from around the various military installations for an update on their important work safeguarding our territory and the people who live and work there. Additionally our presence is of wider strategic significance as the islands form the Atlantic gateway to Antarctica. 

One thing that was a real surprise was finding people from Cornwall, seemingly everywhere I went. It’s been said in the past that you can look down a hole anywhere in the world and find a Cornishman there, and this theory seems to have been updated to include finding fellow Cornishmen and women on these small and remote islands too.

In particular I met a navigator on HMS Clyde who lives in Newquay and the Harbour Master for the military port who comes from Fowey. It was good to catch up with them and have some familiar topics to talk about even that far away from home.

It was also a surprise to find the Cornish Coat of Arms on the wall in the Governor’s House. Apparently there are strong links between Cornwall and the Falklands which I am interested to discover more about. Indeed, in recent years the principal counsel for the Falkland Islands Government has actually come over for a prolonged job swap with an equivalent legal officer from Cornwall Council in 2012, something which I am sure was a real eye opener for both people! I also learned that a former Governor of the islands also lives in our constituency.

One notable thing I discovered about the Falkland Islands is the lack of internet and phone connectivity – things we take for granted in the UK. On my return it has been good to catch up on the interesting developments from last week regarding Brexit and MPs leaving the political parties they were elected under to join the so-called Independent Group. This is something I will probably touch on in a future column but for now I am pleased to back in the UK, recovering from my 19 hour flight and continuing to represent you as your strong Cornish voice in Westminster.

My team and I are here to serve the whole constituency and work hard to make a real difference to the lives of everyone needing support. The office is open to the public Monday – Friday 10.00am – 4.00pm (no appointment necessary). If there is an issue you would like my assistance on then please, either visit the office or contact me on either 01726 829379 or office@stevedouble.org.uk. Additionally, I hold regular, appointment only, advice surgeries across the constituency. Dates of these can be found at: www.stevedouble.org.uk/events