Wednesday 19 August 2015

Newspaper column - 19th August 2015 - My first 100 days

This week I passed the milestone of my first 100 days as your MP.  It remains the biggest honour of my life that I have this role. Although I am aware that that this is a five year marathon, I was also determined to get off to a positive start. I have worked hard to live up to the trust that you placed in me.

It was especially important to me that we worked to keep our promises both personally and as a party.  Prior to the election the Prime Minister and the Chancellor of the Exchequer had made pledges to Cornwall and I was keen to ensure that these became reality.

Therefore I am delighted that both David Cameron and George Osborne have come to this constituency in the first weeks of this Government to demonstrate our commitment to deliver on our promises.

Some of the things I have worked on in the past 100 days include:

·       Worked with George Osborne to secure £1.5m to develop the plan for a new road from St Austell to the A30 by-passing Bugle and Roche

·       Hosted a meeting with the Prime Minister to launch the new Tourism Strategy

·       Worked with the PM, Government Ministers and Cornish MPs to secure the ‘Deal for Cornwall’

·       Held meeting with ministers to address local concerns regarding wind turbines and solar farms and work to develop geo-thermal energy

·       Raised questions in the House of Commons to address concerns regarding the school holiday rules and the impact on tourism – and have now secured a meeting with the Treasury

·       Raised the concerns of local people with the Government regarding aggressive seagulls

·       Held eight Advice Surgeries and handled hundreds of pieces of casework

·       Visited 5 schools and welcomed 3 local schools to visit Parliament

·       Visited numerous local businesses and met with business leaders in Newquay and St Austell

·       Held meetings with the local NHS providers to raise local concerns and work to improve services

·       Met with local farmers and the NFU in Westminster to understand the challenges they face and provide support

·       Met with local Parish Councils to understand their concerns and raised the issue of public toilet closures with the Prime Minister and sought his support to change the rules of businesses rates

·       Met with fellow West Country MPs to lobby for better funding for our local services

·       Elected Chair of Protect Our Waves All Party Parliamentary Group and chaired the first meeting.

I have also recruited my team of excellent staff to work with me in serving the people of mid-Cornwall.


I am under no illusion that there is a great deal more to be done. This area has be overlooked for too long and I am determined to do all I can to make sure we deliver positive change and economic growth.


The first 100 days of this Parliament have seen the first Conservative Government in 18 years move forward confidently with the new brand of modern, One Nation, compassionate conservatism.  Six Conservative MPs who operate at the heart of this new Government now represent Cornwall.  We have made great strides in the first 100 days, but this is only the beginning; there is much more to do in the next five years.